[OpenAFS-devel] Refactoring the Solaris libafs code base

Sean O'Malley omalleys@msu.edu
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:01:56 -0500 (EST)

I am know I am probably some of the cause of fixing header files, and my
sincere apologies.

We have about 5 compiler toolsets we are using. We have GNU, Sun, IBM, M$,
HP, SGI?, Cray? and ??. QNX, BSDi, Ultrix, Next, AT&T, Vax, SunOS (bsd),
and ?? are all deprecated. Linux, and the BSDs (open, free, net, Apple)
all are using the gnu toolsets.

I realize we are worried about choking the compiler by including the same
header file twice and issues about order. The issue about including the
same header file twice, seems like it should be taken care of at the OS
level by wrapping it in ifdefs like we do the AFS headers. Since we
seem to have detailed knowledge,( maybe some of this needs to get passed
back to the specific platform developers/venders... we can't be the only
ones that have faced this...)

The ordering issue is our issue. I assume the precompilers and headers
have improved over the years and might actually take care of some of this
for us. Or maybe not. =)

I am just curious as to how big of a problems rxgen is really fixing with
our -currently- supported systems and what platforms we seem to have the
most issues with versus how many issues it is causing (like trying to
clean up v7 "h/style" includes.  I really don't know and I don't quite get
the point of rxgen, as I have only braindeadedly stared at the code a
couple of times, late at night.

I won't even try to claim novice knowledge of rxgen, kernel development,
multi-platform development, or development in general.

If determined rxgen could be axed, the next question would simply be what
would need to be in place in order for everything to work properly without
it? I assume there isn't an "easy" button for this and there would have to
be a (probably long) transition period. What would have to be done?  And
where would we end up? *curious*

Sean

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University