[OpenAFS-devel] hidden commands

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:28:11 -0700

Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> writes:

> There has been a discussion over on openafs-docs about vos
> online/offline & hidden commands -- there is a desire to have all
> commands and all options documented and visible for consistency's sake,
> although the documentation may note where a command is dangerous or
> requires special privileges.

> I did a quick check of the source and found the following CMD_HIDDEN
> commands:

> - cmd.c: all commands have hidden 'version', and 'help' flags.
> - admin_tools.c: kas setkey
> - admin_tools.c: kas getpassword/getpasswd(which I couldn't get to work --
> see transcript below)
> - admin_tools.c: kas getrandomkey
> - admin_tools.c: kas getticket
> - admin_tools.c: kas debuginfo
> - fs.c: fs monitor
> - vos.c: vos online
> - vos.c: vos offline

> Jeff Altman suggested I start a discussion of which should be made
> visible.  Apparently some of these commands were made hidden simply
> because IBM was not permitted to "add new features" at the time the
> command was added (e.g., vos online/offline), although I don't know the
> history of these commands.

kas is essentially dead code at this point, so we can either leave it
alone or go with what we do with everything else, whichever is easier.

For the rest, it seems reasonable to expose them and document them unless
they're actually dangerous for some reason (and if so, we should probably
still document them and just put big warnings around them).

While we're at it, it might be a good idea to rip out the MR-AFS stuff
still left around in the bos command suite (bos help salvage, for
example).