[OpenAFS-devel] defaults for 1.4.5: afsdb and dynroot?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Steve Simmons wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Adam Megacz wrote:
>

>> Is there any chance that the MacOS+Linux packages for the next release
>> could enable AFSDB and DYNROOT by default?
>
> I would have no objections to this.

If you're installed vmware fusion, you know Installer.app can have
something integrated to ask questions; The ideal case would be that we'd
have something pop up to ask for
1) your choice of cell name
2) whether you wish to use the bundled CellServDB, download one, (or enter
one by hand?)
3) a small set of options, like afsdb, which i think should default to on

and also have it work in CLI mode (run /usr/sbin/installer sometime if you
don't know what I mean)...

but also have some way to install in question-free mode.

Changing to afsdb by default mid-1.4 does offer some possible confusion,
but given some other changes which (basically need to) appear in 1.4.5
perhaps it won't be that confusing compared to other things.