[OpenAFS-devel] IP address change monitoring?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:30:33 +0100

On 23 Jun 2007, at 15:58, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> Right now we do this on Windows and MacOS (to trigger updates to
>> the client)
>>
>> What other platforms support a sensible way of getting IP address
>> change notifications? (We could certainly get dhcp notification by
>> script in most Linuxes but that's OS-specific. I suppose if that's
>> the best we can do I can provide a helper which you can run when
>> your addresses changed which gathers and sets new addresses)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Nobody cares? Nobody wants this?

We'd be interested on this.

 From what I can see, address change monitoring in the Linux
application space is in a certain state of flux. There seem to be a
large number of window manager (believe it or not) specifc mechanisms
for dealing with address change. I think that the best mechanism here
would be to provide a 'fs' command that can be run to signal AFS that
the interface addresses have changed, as you suggest. That way sites,
and distributions, can integrate it into whatever funky interface
management system they prefer.

Cheers,

Simon.