[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 1.5.19 build fails on SunOS 5.11 snv62 SPARC

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:32:22 -0400

On Monday, June 11, 2007 09:16:00 PM -0400 Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
wrote:

> Take look at this:

None of this is news to us.
Bear in mind that the Solaris DDI is very slanted toward "device drivers";
that is, pieces of code whose purpose is to talk to hardware.  OpenAFS is
not a device driver, which has relatively little impact on the level of
stability we can expect from interfaces not in the DDI, but makes a big
difference in whether it is possible to do what we do using only those
interfaces.

Fortunately, the OpenSolaris project is, slowly, documenting and
stabilizing kernel interfaces needed by components other than device
drivers.  We begin using these new and/or newly-documented interfaces
according to need, opportunity, and availability of cycles.

-- Jeff