[OpenAFS-devel] Read-only file system

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:18:24 -0400

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 12:39:01PM -0700, Erik Osterman wrote:
> [...]
> write just fine on everything. I woke up today, and now it's complaining
> "Read-only file system" every time to try to make any modifications. I
> figured something must have flipped the RW partition into a RO mode.
>
> This is happening to all my volumes, but I'll just refer to my "home"
> volume. We have just a handful of users, so all users are just in home.

<cringe>

> [...]

> What would cause this unexpected behavior?

It isn't unexpected behavior. AFS volume replication is Read-Only
replication. Unless you specifically go to the read-write version
of the volume,  you will be in the read-only version of the volume
and will not be able to make any changes. And, after getting to
the r/w version of the volume and making changes, you will not
see those changes in the read-only version(s) of the volume until
you release those changes (vos release). Volume replication is
really really unsuited to things that change often, like user
home volumes.

Further discussion should probably happen on -info, since this isn't
really a development issue.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/