[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] jafs et al

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:36:10 -0700

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:

> All this is just details.  The interesting thing here is that on some
> environments (such as solaris, linux), it is common and install both pic
> code in shared libraries, and non-pic code in static libraries.  On
> other environments, it's shared & non-shared libraries have a library
> pathname problem and nearly all code, shared or not, is pic.  One of the
> strengths of openafs is that it works in a heterogeneous community - and
> that means openafs needs to make some effort to fit in with choices such
> as this.

Er, well, yes, in the sense that I don't want to break AIX, but I have few
qualms about introducing a new feature on Solaris and Linux that can be
added to AIX later should anyone care but which is not immediately
available there.