[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] jafs et al

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:01:44 -0700

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> The current set of libraries required by the AFS Perl module are:

>>     -lbos
>>     -lvolser
>>     -lvldb
>>     -lafsrpc
>>     -lafsauthent
>>     -lcmd
>>     -lusd
>>     -laudit
>>     -lutil
>>     -lutil -lafsrpc -lutil
>>     -lutil -lafsauthent -lutil

> That works?

It seems to.

> How?

No idea.  But I'm running code right now built with those libraries.
Apparently whatever possible clashes there are don't happen in practice.

> bos, vldb, volser, are presumably all lwp versions; afsrpc & afsauthent
> should be pthread versions -- and I have no idea what -lutil gets in
> your environment; that should be -lafsutil In my environment,
> /usr/lib/libutil.a gets me some part of "libc6-dev".

-lutil is something of a red herring; it gets turned into
/usr/lib/afs/util.a later in the build process rather than passed to the
compiler in that form.

> Do all the various functions of AFS::* actually work?

It passes its test suite.

> I just built a copy of "AFS-2.4.0", which is apparently the last update
> posted to cpan 20 feb 2006.  It wanted this:
> -L/tmp/m40/usr/lib \
> -L/tmp/m40/usr/lib/afs \
> -lkauth \
> -lprot \
> -lbos \
> -lrx \
> -lvolser \
> -lvldb \
> -lcmd \
> -lubik \
> -lauth \
> -lrxkad \
> -lrxstat \
> -lrx \
> -lsys \
> -ldes \
> -llwp \
> /tmp/m40/usr/lib/afs/libcom_err.a \
> /tmp/m40/usr/lib/afs/util.a \
> -lusd \
> -laudit \
> -lresolv
> That's not the right order, but it's very close to right.

For your non-threaded Perl.  Debian's Perl is threaded, for which I'm
fairly sure the above won't work.