[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to disable fsync()ing

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:23:54 +0100 (MET)

> > For the volserver, local tests have shown that this speeds up volume moves
> > significantly.
>
> If it's like the one Rainer sent it also breaks things. Ask Harald Barth.

Not necessarily. I have SOMETHING on one of my file servers that at
the end of a vos move prevents the cleaning up of the clone. Typically
the error message is that the /vicep?/V* file can not be opened (but
it _is_ there). I'm not sure that it is related as in recent news I
have seen the problems both with and without the fsync modifying
patches. I now think it is rather fileserver-load-related. If you know
anything about the clone-not-cleaned-up problem, let us know. Sorry,
I'd rather have better news. My understanding of Unix file systems
tells me that we should be able to do without all this fsyncing,
especially when dealing with cloning and deleting volumes. It
buggs me that I'm not sure.

Harald.