[OpenAFS-devel] AFS + Object Storage

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 02 May 2007 16:23:08 +0200

As I announced at the Hackathon-06 we are working on a combination of
AFS and object storage. This project was created in 2005. It was a
co-operation between Rainer Toebbicke from CERN, Andrei Maslennikov,
Ludovico Giammarino, and Roberto Belloni from CASPUR, and me from RZG.

The project has made good progress so that I would like to propose to
put the source now into the OpenAFS CVS tree.

Our source is based on the stable 1.4.4 release and can be found under
/afs/ipp-garching.mpg.de/.cs/openafs/openafs-1.4.4-osd. For all files we
changed we let the original version in place with a suffix ".orig".

There is also a doc-subdirectory with two pdf-files: one is a
description of what exists and the other one is a presentation I gave
last week at the Spring HEPIX 2007 meeting in Hamburg.

RZG is using this code already in production for normal AFS volumes, but
has enabled the use of object storage only for a few selected volumes.
The reason for not enabling object storage for all volumes is that we
don't want to make massive use of features in OpenAFS which have not yet
been approved by the OpenAFS commitees.

There is still missing a lot, but on the other hand it's time to start
beta-testing to find out all the nice bugs we have hidden under the surface!

Thanks,
Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)