[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 08 May 2007 08:49:42 -0700

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> writes:
> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>> You are apparently confused, and do not actually understand the
>> direction in which things are going.  The issue is mostly not about
>> linking; it's about the directions in which people are willing to
>> support extensibility. Neither Linux nor Solaris really supports the
>> concept of statically linking external modules into the kernel.

> I could be confused, but I think it is you who are confused; I think
> that because you accept/assert the premise that solaris and linux may
> drop dynamic loading of system calls. Obviously, if they do that, they
> will have to go back to a static linked kernel for custom system calls.

Uh, Linux as of right now, so far as I know, does not support either
dynamic linking of system calls *or* static linking of system calls.  I
believe you have to patch the kernel source to add a new system call.
System calls are not how you're supposed to interact with loadable modules
on Linux.

I don't understand why you'd think that an OS would have to support any
addition of system calls by a module at all.