[OpenAFS-devel] VLDB blues (multihomed server, duplicate IP addresses)

Erland Lewin erland@lewin.nu
Tue, 15 May 2007 13:50:58 +0200

I'm having problems with my OpenAFS server similar to that reported in
an earlier post (But the fix in that thread is not working for me):

http://www.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2006-July/023070.html

My configuration is that I have a multi-homed server acting as a
router/gateway/firewall with both an intranet and Internet ethernet
connection. I have used the NetRestrict file to try to limit openafs to
using only the Internet address (so that the intranet address won't be
given as a server address to external afs clients).

When I do:

vldb_check -servers  /usr/var/openafs/db/vldb.DB0

I get:
> Ubik header size is 0 (should be 64)
> MH block 0, index 1: 172.16.1.11 83.227.241.4
>    Server ip addr 0 = 83.227.241.4
>    Server ip addr 1 = 83.227.241.4
>    Server ip addr 2 = 83.227.241.4
>    Server ip addr 3 = MH block 0, index 1
> Scanning 980 entries for possible repairs
I think this may be a root cause of the problems I'm having. Is there
some way I can change the VLDB to only list one server with IP address
83.227.241.4 (my Internet address)?

Is there a bug in "vos changeaddr" or similar which causes this
multitude of entries with the same IP addresses?

FWIW the actual problem is that the fileserver crashes with:
> VL_RegisterAddrs rpc failed; The IP address exists on a different
> server; repair it
> VL_RegisterAddrs rpc failed; See VLLog for details
> Fatal error in library initialization, exiting!!
causing an endless loop of salvaging.

I'd be grateful for any help,

/Erland