[OpenAFS-devel] Brief proposal on numbers

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:15:53 -0400

I'm all in favor of not mixing powers of two with ten.  So I agree that 1g =
1000m (1,024,000,000) is not something I want to think about.

But if you can think of just blocks, and forget that they contain 1024
bytes, it might make sense to count them in powers of ten.  That's sort of
what we do today, both with "fs setquota" and with standard commands like
"df".

I used to resist the ISO standard power-of-two prefixes KiB, MiB, etc as
being silly, but as the error grows 2.4% with each "generation" we're going
to have to distinguish when we get up to tera and peta.

So I guess I don't have an answer for you but I feel your pain.