[OpenAFS-devel] getcwd() on Linux 2.6.18+OpenAFS 1.4.2 bugs/errors.

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:06:49 -0500

In message <473DC4E5.1020606@secure-endpoints.com>,Jeffrey Altman writes:
>We know what one of the paths to a volume root happens to be.  If we can
>detect when a second path is being used, perhaps instead of returning
>the vnode we already used, we lie and produce a new "local only" vnode
>that is a symlink to the original mountpoint that was crossed.

this idea if not without merit.  i have given this a bit of thought.
the original problem, from the linux fs point of view, as i understand
it, is two dentrys pointing to the same directory inode.  this isnt a
problem for files (hard links), but its bad for directories.  so i guess
the problem would be to uniquely identify vnodes to their corresponding
dcache entry so that lookups get back the same vnode consistently.

we might then need to resolve some issues with locking of these two
directories when files are moved between them.