[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS on Yellow Dog 5.0.2

Atro Tossavainen Atro.Tossavainen@helsinki.fi
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:53:14 +0300 (EEST)

Derrick,

(I decided to join the list after all.)

> Good to know no 2 distributions can ship something without at least
> one "improving" it.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I suppose I don't need to...

>> /usr/src/openafs-1.4.3/src/libafs/MODLOAD-2.6.22-0.ydl.rc4-MP/osi_vnodeops.c:638: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
>> make[6]: *** [/usr/src/openafs-1.4.3/src/libafs/MODLOAD-2.6.22-0.ydl.rc4-MP/osi_vnodeops.o] Error 1

> make sure the spec file regenerates configure after applying the patches.

It does, but I didn't do it when doing this by hand, I only applied
the patches.  Now that I've also done that, building the kernel
module was successful.

> choosing the largest version number available is seldom what you
> actually want.

I know.  I'm operating under the delusion that choosing the largest
version number might stand the best chance of supporting the most
recent versions of the underlying OS out of the box (FSVO supporting;
at least compiling cleanly on).

> i expect there will be an srpm for 1.4.5pre2, if someone can give a hint
> as to what we might need to fix in src/packaging/RedHat/openafs.spec.in in
> 1.4.5pre1 I will see if we can accomodate Yellow Dog

I'm seeing a 1.4.5pre2 srpm already.  Whatever is causing the
"Package has no %description" is still there.  It's on line 233
now, which seems to be

%if %{build_userspace}

So I need to rpmbuild --define macro\ something for every macro?

# rpmbuild --rebuild --define build_userspace\ 0 --define build_authlibs\ 0 openafs-1.4.5pre2-1.1.src.rpm
Installing openafs-1.4.5pre2-1.1.src.rpm
error: Architecture is not included: ppc

Oh well...

BTW. On a completely different note, I've been meaning to ask for a
long time whether there's a reason the Makefiles in OpenAFS aren't
fit for parallel compilation (aka gmake -j).  It's a fairly large
package, and with more and more people having access to CPUs with
multiple cores, it would be nice to speed up the compilation that
way.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,