[OpenAFS-devel] 1.4.5 pre5 klog v5

Sean O'Malley omalleys@msu.edu
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

I think it is a good idea given the new quickstart guide starting from
krb5 is out. klog simplifies the ticket/token hoop jumping which tends to
be hard to explain to people especially users and newbies unfamiliar with
the concepts in both the user and security contexts. (There is a valid
argument that people should understand it, but the reality is it isnt that
easy to grasp for some people.)

It also just happens to be one of the few things in life that is more
secure and easier to use if you don't already have a complete kerberos
environment.

Last, it is a PITA to upgrade from krbv4 to krbv5 so anything we can do to
keep people off krbv4 is going to help keep thinking AFS is just another
PITA. Especially given the interoperability/support for afs krbv4 is
dwindling as people are/have migrated to krbv5 already.

As far as what breaks. I don't know. I have a feeling it might be
more then just a few make files or configure scripts. :) If it is much
beyond that, I probably shouldnt be the one looking at it. :)

Sean

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Jim Rees wrote:

> Sean O'Malley wrote:
>
>   Is it too late to put klog with the krb5 hooks from the 1.5 branch into
>   the 1.4 branch?
>
> Probably.  At one time I tried to pull it in to the 1.4.x branch but there
> were problems.  I don't remember what they were.  If someone wants to try it
> and send the necessary diffs, I would be happy to commit it to the 1.4.x
> branch after 1.4.5 goes out, if that seems like a good thing to do.

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University