[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS-1.5.24/NetBSD-3.1/amd64 compile problem

Tracy Di Marco White gendalia@gmail.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:52:36 -0500

On 9/17/07, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/4/07, Suzanna <sue@real.wilbury.sk> wrote:
> > > Why the 1.5 branch?  It doesn't look like amd64 support was merged.
> >
> > Trying to be up to date. I wasn't aware of the missing amd64 code.
>
> 1.5 isn't the recommended unix release, anyway, so "up to date" if you want
> bleeding is the CVS head and not 1.5 anyway.

My solution is --disable-pam.  That's what the new version in pkgsrc has
set for the OpenAFS package, that should now support the 3.x releases
and the 4.x pre-release versions of NetBSD on amd64 & i386. (OpenAFS
1.4.5, patches in RT, #75602, I suppose I should test CVS head too.)

> > > Are you using process.amd64.s?  What happens when you add -fPIC to
> > > the compile options?
> >
> > I am. Adding -fPIC doesn't change anything as it is not passed to
> > as(1). Apparently, as(1) has no options to force the creation of
> > PIC compatible code. Adding it to cc -E before doesn't change
> > anything, either.
> >
> > The error occurs when pam_afs.so.1 is linked... I was wondering about
> > linking a lib.a into a lib.so, anyway.
>
> It's doable if your dynamic linker supports it, but most amd64 linkers
> don't.

I'm working a bit, when I'm up in the middle of the night, with someone
who understands this better than I do.  And I have some hope of help
finishing the client support on NetBSD soon, too.

-Tracy