[OpenAFS-devel] Bad AFS performance over wide area due to packet fragmentation problems

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:51:37 +0200 (CEST)

> As '-nojumbo' has a measurable price on our own local network where
> fragmentation does not exhibit any problem we hesitate to run
> everything in that mode.

I run with -nojumbo and with RX_MAX_FRAG patched to 1.

On which clients/servers do you see that this would have a performance
penalty?

Last time I checked on Linux there was no difference in letting the RX
code produce 4 UDP packets a ~1400 bytes which then are as many
eternet frames compared to let RX produce 1 packet a ~5600 bytes and
then the OS fragment it into 4 ethernet packets. Yes, there was a
difference back in the days of SunOS 4.1.4....

Harald.