[OpenAFS-devel] Bad AFS performance over wide area due to packet fragmentation problems

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:56:12 +0200 (CEST)

> > I run with -nojumbo and with RX_MAX_FRAG patched to 1.
>
> The fact that you had to set RX_MAX_FRAG to 1 in order to make -nojumbo
> work was a bug that has now been fixed.

If that is what "-nojumbo" was supposed to do, what is it called when you
stuff (or do not stuff) serveral (small) rx-packets into one UDP packet?

All this stuff confuses me and a lot of network equipment and I allway
try to turn it OFF. Working MTU discovery for the whole path would be
nice. Can we do better than the usual ICMP based one that seldom works
because of firewalls NAT and the like?

Harald.