[OpenAFS-devel] New Rx security model

Derrick Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:40:45 -0400

A gentleman by the name of David Beck has given us a pointer to work
he has done on a new security model for Rx. I cannot vouch for it yet
as I have not completed a review of those code, however I will do so
and encourage other interested parties to do the same.

David says:
The rt0d4 (Random Thoughts On Distributed Algorithms) project is an
opensource development released under the BSD license. Everyone is
free to use that.
The short term goal of the project is to collect ideas, algorithms and
tools for the development of various distributed applications. RxRPC
would take part
in the communication. The long term goal of the project is to develop
some distributed applications.

The first 0.0.1 release of the project contains the new security model
and a few helpers. This new model is based on OpenSSL. The
challenge/response
part is implemented using Elliptic curve cryptography and the packet
encryption is using blowfish. The challenge and the response packet
can pass server and client
certificates as opaque data, that may be checked by callback functions
on both sides. This leaves place for x509 certificates. The response
packet can also contain
credential information (login+password) that may be verified by a
callback on the server side.

The project itself is mainly written in C++, but care was taken to
make it pluggable into C projects. The configuration and build system
is based on cmake.

I hope you or others will find this useful.

The project is registered at:

 google code (Main site):   http://code.google.com/p/rt0d4/