Site Specific ACL Bits/chown: Was: [OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again

wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:38:29 -0500

<<On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:46:36 +0000, Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> said:

> On 8 Dec 2008, at 17:46, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>> Too late; that ship has already sailed.  The very existence of site-
>> specific ACL bits is a statement that it _is_ fine for cell
>> administators to decide what the meanings of those bits should be.
>> That decision was made, and the bits were being used, long before
>> the OpenAFS project was started.

> But the use of these bits isn't incorporated into the OpenAFS code.

Please excuse my skepticism, but there seems to be a fairly strong
claim being put forth here and I've not seen any evidence at all to
back it up.

These so-called "site-specific ACL bits": evidence?  In which cells,
precisely, are they being used, and for what?  Can you point to
documentation from a specific site that explains how they use them?
Are these purely private uses, or has the code been released to other
sites?  Given that the OpenAFS code assigns no semantics to them, how
many servers do you (have reason to) believe actually implement custom
ACL semantics?

-GAWollman