VFS KPI was Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS ... or equivalent ...

Rick Macklem rmacklem@uoguelph.ca
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:25:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Scott Long wrote:

> Both Solaris and OSX seem to have found the path out of the VFS locking
> woods, and it would indeed be really nice if FreeBSD could follow suit.
Yes, I didn't mention Solaris (because I've never looked at it), but
being able to easily port file system code from OpenSolaris sounds like
it might be a big win. ZFS is an obvious example, but there is also
stuff like pNFS in the pipe that would be nice. (I'm going to try and
get my nfsv4 code into FreeBSD, but it will only be nfsv4.0 and I have
no urge to do 4.1/pNFS.) And others mentioned that there is quite a bit
of momentum w.r.t. OpenAFS in Solaris.

rick