[OpenAFS-devel] AFS vs UNICODE

Stephan Wonczak a0033@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:23:01 +0200 (CEST)

   Hi Jeffrey!

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> With the release today of OpenAFS 1.5.50, the Microsoft Windows OpenAFS
> client like the Microsoft Windows operating system on which it runs uses the
> Unicode character set for all file system object names.  Given the discussion
> that took place on this list in early May of this year I want to provide a
> follow up to describe how Unicode character set support has been implemented
> without altering any of the AFS server processes.

   Great!

<snip nice description>

   When I read the Flamew^WDiscussion about moving to UTF-8/Unicode I was
a bit worried about how the final implementation would turn out. I am one
of the firm believers in 'filenames should be just a string of bytes', so
when it was proposed to change the fileserver code, so I was worried about
backward compatibility.
   The way UTF-8-support is implemented right now, i.e. as a part of the
client with the fileserver itself blissfully unaware of any charater
encodings gives the best of both worlds to everyone. So, IMHO you picked
the very best implementation that could be done. Thank you for yuor work!

 	Dipl. Chem. Dr. Stephan Wonczak

         Zentrum fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
         Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
         Universitaet zu Koeln, Robert-Koch-Strasse 10, 50931 Koeln
         Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577, Fax: ++49/(0)221/478-5590