[OpenAFS-devel] pinstall breaks fakeroot when compiling openafs for Nokia tablets

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:06:02 -0400

Marcus Watts wrote:
>> Date:    Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:07:55 PDT
>> To:      openafs-devel@openafs.org
>> From:    Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] pinstall breaks fakeroot when compiling openafs fo
>>      ***r Nokia tablets
>>
>> Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
>>

>>> "pinstall" doesn't just clobber LD_PRELOAD and FAKEROOTKEY, it discards
>>> *every* environment variable with majestic indifference whenever it does
>>> execve to invoke /bin/cp and /bin/strip (or variations which depend on
>>> the *target* OS being selected.)
>>>
>> I'm fairly sure that when fakeroot is working properly, it overrides
>> execve to pass the environment variables it needs regardless.
>>

> That's a clever idea.  But in the source to fakeroot-1.9.5 it looks like
> that's commented out -- never implemented or was removed?
>
> Looks like the fakeroot folks were being very minimalist in any case.
> Presumably they didn't want to wind up with usermode linux or
> solaris zones.

well, after all of this, I noticed that my build runs twice for some
reason and the libprocmgmt file has pinstall run on it previously. Now,
I'm trying to figure out why the build runs twice.

Jason