[OpenAFS-devel] library linking vs command output parsing

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:44:26 -0700

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> My question is this: What are the pros and cons of writing code that
> links to the AFS & kerberos libraries to do things like getting
> tickets/tokens versus just running klist and capturing the input &
> output?

Using the AFS libraries has the nasty problem that we don't have a shared
library API that has everything you need for a lot of the things that you
want to do, and the static libraries are often not built PIC and hence
can't be used as part of dynamic objects, such as Python modules.

Kerberos shouldn't have that same problem, but I don't know if there are
already Python Kerberos bindings or if you'd have to write your own.