[OpenAFS-devel] Creating Cell fails because libafs can't be loaded

Andreas andreasmats@gmail.com
Sun, 4 May 2008 17:44:09 +0100

Hello guys.

I 've already created a Cell for testing purposes, but every time I
try to create a new one, I can't because when I run:
$ modprobe libafs
It fails with the error message:
FATAL: Error inserting libafs
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/fs/libafs.ko): Cannot allocate
memory
Something that didn't happen the first time.

When I run dmesg I get the following:
allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size

I googled for this error and tried to increase the size of vmalloc in
/boot/grub/menu.lst, but nothing happens.

i tried "umount /afs" before trying to load the library, but I get the
same error message. I also tried rebuilding from source ( version:
stable 1.4.x ), then  copying the new libafs.ko file to
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/fs but still I get the same
error.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? I am on a Kubuntu 8.04 system.

Thanks.