[OpenAFS-devel] Long file names

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi
Mon, 5 May 2008 22:07:25 +0300 (EEST)

> What is your question?

I suppose the only thing that is relevant to OpenAFS development as
such is whether whatever caused this behaviour is still an issue in
OpenAFS.  I guess the file system should not allow files with names
longer than 255 characters to be created at all, i.e. #1 in your list.

I certainly don't want or expect anybody else to be filing bug reports
with IBM on our behalf, and it would, I think, be pointless now anyway
as all extensions of extensions of support contracts have expired and
all ex-customers of commercial AFS should be transitioning to OpenAFS
(us included).

Perhaps the question of whether there is anything that I can do about
the immediate issue (ie removing the offending item from the volume
involved) is not pertinent to any development mailing list.  I haven't
seen (so far) a need to be a member of the -info list, but thinking
of it, of course that is a more appropriate place for the discussion
of any issue related to the use of the product.  Let's just skip it
here, then.

> 2. Does the OpenAFS file server permit files to be created that
>     cannot be accessed or deleted?

That's interesting too - can I still continue to shoot myself in the
foot after we transition?

> 5. Can OpenAFS file a bug with IBM regarding this issue and provide
>     me with a fix?

lol.  Hey, I picked the wrong list, but that's all, OK?  I've "been
here" in AFSdom for 8 years, so I'm not a total spring chicken.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,