[OpenAFS-devel] AFS vs UNICODE

u+openafsdev-t07O@chalmers.se u+openafsdev-t07O@chalmers.se
Wed, 7 May 2008 12:08:56 +0200

Hello Erik,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 03:04:25AM +0200, Erik Dal=E9n wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM,  <u+openafsdev-t07O@chalmers.se> wrote=
:
> >  Applying encodings to file names (treating them as text as opposite =
> >  byte sequences) is broken fundamentally - this can _not_ be done pro=
perly.

>=20
> Well, the bug is really in Mac OS X, the issue is if we should have a
> workaround for it or not. Could file a bug with apple and with luck
> they'll fix it in 10 years. Or we could normalize the file names in
> the mac clients.

It is not a bug, it is wrong design. Windows and MacOS X behave different=
ly
but this does not mean any of them is "buggy".

It means both of them did wrong, in incompatible ways, so that the wrongd=
oing did not
compensate :)
(I can imagine yet another system which does and/or will do file name enc=
oding in its own
way and become "Windows- and MacOS-incompatible" as well.)

I do not think Posix is perfect, but at least on this point it did it rig=
ht,
file names consist of bytes not characters.

Best regards,
Rune