[OpenAFS-devel] mdw @ google - what I did

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:16:05 -0500

"Derrick Brashear" <shadow@gmail.com> had replied:
> > 82 distinct "changes".  So, I estimate this will encompass about 500-1000
> > changes at the level requested.
>
> I suspect you overrate the granularity desired here. 1000 patches is
> only marginally better than having to review a 10000 line blob.

I'm pretty sure it's not the "desired" granularity.  It was the
"requested" granularity however.  As it happened, "aklog" was a useful
example: besides rxk5 specific changes, it also had an "-unwrap" option
which isn't particularly rxk5 specific, but was useful for testing.
That was specifically suggested as a separate patch.

I think once I go through this exercise, it will be possible to take
that list of patches and do some combining.  A fair number of these
patches are going to look pretty repetitive.  There will also be many
patches that are logically dependent on each other in various ways.
I think there will be more than one way to combine these changes, so I
am very open to any ideas folks have on how they would like to see these.

There will also be a set of changes that for various reasons can
just be eliminated.  For instance, one change I just got rid of was
"AC_DEFINE([FOO],".  For some reason, when I origionally looked at the
autoconf documention, I thought they were strongly recommending the
use of [FOO] over plain FOO.  When I reread it (might have been updated
meanwhile), they were saying FOO was sufficient.  Argh!

Once I have this list, I'll post it.  It will be basically a one-line
description per diff, with hopefully enough detail that folks can see
where there might be an opportunity to combine things.  I don't plan
to split out the actual diffs until I know more how people would like
things combined.

				-Marcus Watts