[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS.org web site design project

Doug Hirsch dhirsch@pobox.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:09:36 -0800

Jeffrey,

The "New to FreeBSD" link is a wonderful model.

Just to remind you of my situation, I have followed these mailing
lists for nearly two years, I consider myself an AFS groupie (love you
guys!), almost ready to stand up my own reference demo system in spite
of not being a programmer and having most of my system administration
experience twenty years behind me.  I'm not quite a suit--maybe a
sports coat, with much of my time spent defending budgets and how
people spent them.  I'm still trying to get people interested within
my organization in what AFS could do for us and our customers, having
spent six months almost twenty years ago as a junior AFS admin
elsewhere.

My boss just told me over lunch a bunch of the reservations he has
about AFS, the essence of which is that he thinks AFS is "past it",
like Beta versus VHS, though I'm not sure how much of his opinion is
based on understanding of what AFS is, versus the things he thinks it
is like.  In my project's environment, I see a need for a nice, neat,
manageable wide area file system with which we could share VM images
with our partner developers in three facilities, as well as with our
customer's test group.  I think I see an opportunity to introduce and
make use of OpenAFS in a controlled, small audience environment, where
a dozen or so people can get experience using it and seeing its worth.
 Want to talk me out of this effort?  Otherwise, I'm trying to figure
out how to show that this *can* work, in spite of my fumbling with it
for over a year (several reasons beyond my incompetence, like being
across the country from my lab where I have routable IP addresses on
machines I can repartition to my needs), and how to get the
decision-makers in each of the organizations enough on board to have
the necessary support to make a demo.  Just yesterday, I asked for a
subdomain from my company, so I could set up the DNS support for my
demo KDC.  Thankfully, our head of IT has been wanting someone to
explore AFS for him, so I get bits of cooperation here and there, if
not overt support.  Please pass me a current sysadmin, with time to
take on this project for me...

I'm not ready to supply a case study to the archive, but I'm building
the case itself to study, hopefully not as a demonstration of a path
to avoid.

Doug