[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS.org web site design project

Doug Hirsch dhirsch@pobox.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:41:36 -0800

Jeffrey,

What's the winning formula of information to put in front of my CIO's
team?  I'm trying to figure that out!  I think our organization would
be well served to have a trustworthy uniform ubiquitous file space,
with provisions for both common administration and separation of
domains to meet individual projects' needs.  The biggest challenge is
building the trust that

- the technology works and is relevant to real corporate IT problems
- it won't become a hole in our security infrastructure
- it will not turn into an administrative nightmare
- the technology can be installed without an overwhelming investment

Our particular environment is like a university in that there are
separate departments with separate projects and budgets.  It's unlike
a university in the very limited budget for common facilities.  I'm
trying to make the case that, like the physical building, ubiquitous
data storage will provide a flexible platform which will enable each
project to focus more on its specialty and less on system
administration, while I don't want to trigger the defense mechanisms
of each project who don't want to lose control over their unique
computing environments.  To a certain extent, I see this exercise like
a campaign to explain to a bunch of people who've been living in tents
and have never seen a building why they might find it expedient to
build a building together.  Of course, I'm not an architect, nor do I
play one on television...

Doug