[OpenAFS-devel] 1.4.8 performance

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:40:10 -0400

--On Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:15:59 PM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Hartmut Reuter wrote:
>>
>> After integration of my object storage stuff into 1.4.8pre1 I have made
>> some tests between two of our cell's fileserver machines,
>> Both Quadcore Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5405  @ 2.00GHz
>> with 4 GB main memory. They are both on the same Gbit-Ethernet switch.
>>
>> On the client I use 64 MB memory cache with chunk size 64 KB.
>
> Why such a small chunk size?

A good question.  This will adversely affect the transfer rates through the
cache manager, because a separate RXAFS_FetchData is done for each chunk.
What size reads is afsio doing?  If they're not the same, then the
measurements are really not comparable.

-- Jeff