[OpenAFS-devel] AIX 6.1 Compile error: ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .vprintf

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:57:04 -0400

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM, b6x <stevewilloughby@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.   Apologies if a dumb question.  I'm no developer, but attempting to
> compile openAFS under AIX 6.1.   I am getting various compiler errors on
> various machines.   I'm working with 1.5.54 source and IBM AIX C Compiler
> v9.0
>
> The configure scripts seem to work fine,  but when issuing make I receive
> the following compile errors:
>
> On a power6 AIX 6.1 server:
>
>  ld: 0711-151 SEVERE ERROR: : Invalid option name:
> LOADMAP:afs.ext.64.loadmap
>     ...(various warnings removed)...
>  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .vprintf
>  make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 8.
>  Stop.
>

> On a power4 AIX 6.1 server:
>
>  ld: 0711-344 See the loadmap file afs.ext.64.loadmap for more information.
>  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .vprintf
>  make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 8.
>  Stop.

It appears we can't use vprintf in src/rx/rx_kcommon.c

It's a development version and so not every case has been tested. I'm
not sure what we'll need to do upstream yet. printf cannot be used as
vprintf.

> If I temporarily change the source to "printf" instead, compilation goes
> further, however then fails on the following:
>
>  + echo No link line for system rs_aix61.
>  No link line for system rs_aix61.
>          /tmp/openafs-1.5.54/src/pinstall/pinstall  pam_afs.so.1
> /tmp/openafs-1.5.54/lib/pam_afs.so.1
>  Can't open source file ``pam_afs.so.1'': No such file or directory
>  make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>

> I would appreciate any assistance or pointers as to what I'm doing wrong /
> missing.

Same as above. In this case it's makefile fixes.

Complicating this is I have no AIX 6 box to test on.