[OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again

wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:20:19 -0400

<<On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:51:15 -0400, Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> said:

> I have been looking at Derrick's patch from last spring
> to implement POSIX style chown, with the hope it can be
> included in OpenAFS 1.5. Since there are security implications
> to this change, I am posting it here for further review
> and comment.

> The idea is to allow regular users to disown files when the
> C acl bit is set.

What does POSIX have to do with this?  POSIX does not require that
users have the ability to give away files.  (In fact, a "strictly
conforming" POSIX implementation shall not allow this.)

Does the patch include changes to allow pathconf(_PC_CHOWN_RESTRICTED,
"/afs/...") to return the correct value?

-GAWollman