[OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:57:46 -0400

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2008, at 15:15, Michael Meffie wrote:
>> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>>> --On Monday, October 20, 2008 09:51:15 AM -0400 Michael Meffie
>>> As discussed at the recent hackathon, the bit to be used should be
>>> determined at configure time, rather than being hard coded.  This
>>> allows sites that wish to use this feature to map it onto an ACL bit
>>> they are not already using.  Thus, one would have to configure with
>>> an option like --enable-posix-chown=C (with legal values being
>>> [ABCDEFGH] and "no", and maybe even 'a' or 'w', but not "yes").
>>
>> The attached patch includes the code to set which ACL bit is to
>> be used. The configure switch has been changed to
>> --enable-permit-chown-acl
>> which can be used to specify which ACL bit is used and defaults
>> to disabled.
>
> Please, please, please don't make this configurable. From a user
> experience point of view it's horrific. Having the ACL bit which
> controls this behaviour differ between cells (and even between
> fileservers) will confuse any user who moves between sites, or even who
> reads a different site's documentation when trying to come to grips with
> AFS. It spectacularly violates the principle of least surprise.

All good points. I've found even testing of this patch to be
interesting, something which we probably want to avoid for
a security sensitive change.

> We should either pick a bit, and make it globally consistent (and
> reserved on those fileservers which don't enable the behaviour), or
> defer this feature until we have more ACL bits to play with.

What would the process be to pick a bit? Derrick originally suggested
'C', which seems to be a fine choice and easy to remember.

How could we have more ACL bits to play with? Does that entail
an on disk format change?

Mike --