[OpenAFS-devel] Looking for an OpenAFS sandbox environment...

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:50:13 +0100

Hi Jeffrey,

On Thu, Oct 30 2008, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Norbert:
>
> Norbert Gruener wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > my name is Norbert Gruener, I am developing the AFS Perl API.
> >
> > At the beginning of this year our cell has moved from KAS to Kerberos 5.
> > And therefore I do not have an environment to test and to work on the
> > existing AFS::KAS Perl module anymore.
> >
> > In order to be able to do the necessary maintenance work on the
> > AFS::KAS module I am looking for a remote OpenAFS sandbox environment
> > where I can do my tests.
>
> How about working on designing an AFS::Krb5 module instead?
>
> That is actually needed by the community much more than AFS::KAS.

there are already two Kerberos modules available on CPAN

          Authen::Krb5;
          Authen::Krb5::Admin

They are working fine.  When we switched from KAS to Kerberos5 it took
me just one day to convert all our Perl applications from AFS::KAS to
Authen::Krb5 and Authen::Krb5::Admin.

I think, there is no need to have an own AFS::Krb5 module.

> kaserver is no longer being developed.

I am aware of that.  But was is your suggestion, when somebody
complains about a problem in AFS::KAS.  Should I just say "sorry but
you have to convert your cell to Kerberos 5" ?

This would be an easy part for me.  But I am afraid that the guy,
having problems with AFS::KAS would not be very pleased with this
answer.

So, what does the OpenAFS community say about this problem ?  Should
the support for AFS::KAS module just be frozen?

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/