[OpenAFS-devel] posix chown again

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:03:23 -0400

<<On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:54:35 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> said:

> It's not clear to me that pathconf(_PC_CHOWN_RESTRICTED) is expected
> to return a value which depends on the caller; rather, I believe it
> is intended to return a static value depending only on the path,
> with the implication that even when present, the restriction does
> not apply to administrators.

Right.  {CHOWN_RESTRICTED} describes the behavior for users who do not
have "appropriate privilege".  (POSIX does not describe a mechanism
for determining when a process has appropriate privilege to perform an
operation, and leaves it up to the implementation to define what
privilege is appropriate.  So I withdraw my comment about pathconf().)

-GAWollman