[OpenAFS-devel] PAGs/tokens/threads

Alberto Mancini mancini@math.unifi.it
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:29:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> The current implementation only looks at the keyring if it can't determine
> the PAG from the process's groups. If it has to use the keyring, then it
> attempts to set the process's group list, so that the group is used for all
> future lookups.

Is this for performance reasons (or for something i do not see) or
is just an implementation side-effect ?

This really forbid having a pag-per-thread (at least with POSIX threads
where groups are shared).

First of all, to go ahead, I should change this (looking at the code this
seems not terribly tricky) but, is this change something that can be
reasonably applied to ``some`` openafs upstream ?

Responding to Derrick's question ``For yourself, or to us?''

I am writing this code and if there is some convergence on the
interface the new setpag should have I can volunteer to write (an rewrite)
the code for inclusion.

The facts seems to be:

Adding an argument to AFSCALL_SETPAG is ``no way`` (Jeff)
A new ioctl to pioctl can be a choice (Chas)

Thank you to all.

 			Alberto.