[OpenAFS-devel] xdr renaming

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:41:39 +0200

> It means that potentially we lose the ability to use an optimized
> xdr_* on a platform where we are nominally able to use it; we could
> wrap afs_xdr_* around xdr_* on those platforms as a dodge on this if
> we care.

This discussion reminds me of something I noticed but have not verified
wrt. the devel branch. During some local work on 1.4.x, I was compelled
to use xdr_mem (this is an alternative xdr package, not a data type). It
was pretty funny actually - I was a while debugging until I noticed that
OpenAFS's xdr_mem isn't linked at all, anywhere. Instead, I ended up
calling glibc, which (on RHEL5) didn't work at all.

I saw to linking OpenAFS's xdr_mem to libafsrpc, which helped. In the
end, I made do without it, though.

Just a pitfall I wanted to share before forgetting all about it.

Cheers
 - Felix