[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:17:42 -0600

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:03:06 -0500
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, December 16, 2009 01:46:04 PM -0500 Derrick Brashear
> <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > bos exec still works unless you give the restricted command line
> > switch. if you turn on random options without reading what you're
> > doing, you get what you paid for.
>
> Perhaps you missed the part where Simon advocated making the new
> behavior the default?

The 'new behavior' may just be "allow the restricted switch", not "turn
on restricted mode". I originally read this as the latter, but I kinda
can see it either way. Which one do we want?

Having restricted mode as the default is something I would agree with,
assuming the problems of e.g. 'bos exec suddenly breaks' are taken care
of enough.

> Making it the default behavior might be OK, provided we add code to
> make the fileserver recognize a vice partition containing existing
> inode volumes and refuse to start.

('default behavior' meaning namei, I assume.) We already have that, I
believe. If we're inode and AFSIDat doesn't exist but anything starting
with a V does, we don't attach the partition.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net