[OpenAFS-devel] Thinking about 1.6

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:26:50 -0800

Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> writes:

>> *) Remove the --enable-fast-restart switch, and default this code to off.
>>    The code will still be available for those sites which absolutely have
>>    to run it, but the interface to enable it will no longer be exposed.

>> *) Remove the --enable-bitmap-later switch, and default this code to off.

> Will both of those be replaced by the demand attach functionality?
> Am I doing something bad (TM) by using them currently?

They're basically scary ways of doing things that are done better by the
demand-attach functionality.  You probably know what you're doing well
enough to use them safely, but I don't think any of the gatekeepers are
comfortable with exposing inexperienced users to the potential pitfalls of
using those features.