[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:40:18 -0600

I just wanted to give some actual dates re: Solaris 8/9 support from Sun.

When Sun declares an End of Service Life for an OS version, it then enters
two phases of support past its last ship date.  The first phase still gives
full support to their customers and patches are still released.  This lasts
for two years.  After that, the second phase is when support starts to cost
$$$ for customers, and lasts for three years.  Limited support and patching
is available, but that's when they really start encouraging you to upgrade.

Solaris 8 is currently in "phase 2" of its EOSL, and entered that phase in
4/2009.  That means that Solaris 8 will still be supported in some form by
Sun through 3/2012.

Solaris 9 is currently in "phase 1" of its EOSL, and entered that phase in
11/2009.  As a result, full support is available through 11/2011, and limited
support will be available through 11/2014.

Information on all of their OS versions can be found here:

http://www.sun.com/service/eosl/eosl_solaris.html

All of our AFS servers are now running on Solaris 10, but we still have a
few Solaris 9 systems running.  My goal is to kill them all this year, though.
For those of you running 8 or 9, I recommend you upgrade to 10 - it's got a
TON of new features, and I don't know how we lived without ZFS.

Brian