[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Chaz Chandler clc31@inbox.com
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:32:01 -0500

> i think IRIX is dead enough this isnt going to be an issue.  dead
> enough that i cant see keeping support for IRIX much longer.

I think you could argue that from a business perspective, but let's not
pull the rug out from under it prematurely.  It's working great now.
Derrick and others just completed a good bit of work in 1.5 to allow it
to compile cleanly.  If a change is made that breaks IRIX support in the
future, let the community speak (in contributed C code) on whether or
not they want to continue support for it.  To me, at least, the
massively multi-platform support in openafs is a killer feature.  If we
must start phasing out support for certain platforms to clean up the
codebase, consider starting from the oldest (like sgi_53) and working
forward.