[OpenAFS-devel] release-team@openafs.org

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:00:42 -0500

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Monday, January 12, 2009 08:27:27 PM -0500 Derrick Brashear
> <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Christopher D. Clausen
>> <cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

>>> Maybe someone should update the description for that list then, as I
>>> interrpret it as "GO AWAY" in kinder and gentler wording:
>>>
>>> "This list is for private discussion and announcements among the
>>> group of
>>> people involved in putting together a public release of OpenAFS.
>>>
>>> This is a closed list -- subscriptions require approval from the list
>>> adminstrator, and only current subscribers may post without moderator
>>> approval. Only people involved in putting together OpenAFS releases
>>> will
>>> be permitted to subscribe to this list. If you are not such a person,
>>> please do not send subscription requests; the vast majority of work
>>> done
>>> by GRAND.CENTRAL.ORG postmasters consists of rejecting subscription
>>> requests for private lists."
>>
>> I didn't write it. I assume Jeff Hutzelman did. However, the goal was
>> to convey that it's not a list for discussion or opinion, it's one for
>> fact:
>> -builds/does not build
>> -works/does not work
>>
>> The idea being that development discussion would take place here.
>
> In fact, I did write it, based on my understanding of the purpose of
> the list at that time.  When the list was created, it was intended for
> exactly what the description says -- private discussion among members
> of a closed group consisting specifically of those people involved in
> the mechanics of actually producing and publishing a release, and
> especially announcements from the gatekeepers to that group.  It was
> not intended that the list be used for discussion about what should or
> should not go into a release or when one should happen; those
> decisions were up to the gatekeepers.  It was also not intended for
> reports of what did or did not build or work, except from people
> producing the official binary builds.
>
> To reiterate: the "release team" _does not_ decide what should go into
> a release, when one should happen, or anything like that.  What it
> does is put together the files that constitute a release, once someone
> decides one should happen, and that generally only for stable releases
> -- releases on the 1.5.x branch rarely get _any_ release-team traffic.
>

> Now, we can change what the list is for, but I recommend against
> that.  It serves a useful purpose in its present form, and I don't
> think there's a need to invite anyone and everyone to join a list that
> is supposed to be low-volume enough that people building binaries for
> a release will pay attention when one is happening.  If you (anyone)
> see a gap in what should be in a release and feel you can fill that
> gap (say, by building binaries for a platform we don't currently
> [...]
My personal end-goal is to have a process that tests linux daily from
CVS and test windows whenever a intermediate build is made, but until
that time, 2-4 days advance notice of a release would give some testers
a chance to try to break things. just a thought. Ideally, automatic
testing should test daily, but until then, maybe this would help?

Jason