[OpenAFS-devel] Git/gerrit basics (Windows)

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:26:26 +0100

On 16 Jul 2009, at 22:06, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Suppose I create 20 branches, submit the changes and the changes are
>>> adopted without issue. How does this get cleaned up?
>>
>> your changes move onto the master; you can junk your branches and
>> adopt
>> the master, or you could merge (I think; I am not an expert either)
>
> Given the way that Gerrit works, the merge will just create pointless
> merge commits, so you want to junk the branches after they've been
> merged
> (git branch -D).

What I do is that I regularly run 'git cherry' to compare all of my
local branches with origin/master, and then junk all of the branches
that it tells me have been pulled into master. It's an insurance
policy against junking something accidentally, and also reminds me
about those patches that I need to chase reviews for (not that I've
needed to do that yet - the speed of patches going from gerrit into
the tree is pretty spectacular at the moment)

S.