[OpenAFS-devel] convergence of RxOSD, Extended Call Backs, Byte Range Locking, etc.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:19:32 -0400

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:18:26 +0200
Hartmut Reuter <reuter@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:

> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> Hartmut Reuter wrote:
>>
>>> Jeffrey:
>>> Is that the kind of specification you are looking for? Or what
>>> else?
>>
>> I would like a specification of the entire protocol such that it is
>> sufficient for me to be able to implement RXOSD support based
>> solely on the specification.  The specification must include not
>> only the protocol messages but also a description of the required
>> semantics.  Only with such a specification will it be possible for
>> independent developers to implement RXOSD.  More importantly, only
>> with such a specification is it possible for analysis to be done of
>> the protocol to identify areas where it alters the existing AFS
>> protocol semantics, or conflicts with other work that is in
>> progress.
>
> Can you give me a link to the specification for the current protocol
> that I can see how such a specification should look like?

I cannot speak for Jeff, but the draft specification for extended
callbacks[1] may be closer to what is desired. That's obviously not the
current protocol, but may still be helpful.

[1] http://michigan-openafs-lists.central.org/archives/afs3-standardization/2008-October/000247.html

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net