[OpenAFS-devel] Proposal for capabilities support in Unix client 1.4.x

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:24:21 -0400

--0016361e7db2345636046cb3715d

> Everyone thinks their situation is a special case or that their
> source code is better written and tested than anyone else's.  The
> reality is that isn't true.  OpenAFS is a community effort.  We all
> play by the same rules and we all work together to develop a better
> product.  Continuing attempts to pull everything into 1.4 is only
> going to cause 1.4 to be 1.5 and cause everyone to be unhappy.

I've herd this came as a surprise to some folks. It shouldn't have. Attempts
to introduce
anything large into an existing stable series have always  been met with
manifold problems,
complaints from other sites who aren't interested in destabilizing
influence, and besides, no
one accepting code has ever said that developing patches for 1.4 with the
idea that they'd
go upstream on that branch first or only was a good idea; In general, when
patches show up
there either someone (usually me) has to do the work of merging them to the
head and 1.5,
or we have to send them back and ask for a revised version.

The problem really is that 1.5 moved ahead from 1.4 in both client and
server, and now some folks are stuck.
We'll help you if you help us. But we can't do all the updating and and
implementation and integration testing
ourselves.

Derrick

--0016361e7db2345636046cb3715d

yle=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex=
; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>
Everyone thinks their situation is a special case or that their<br>
source code is better written and tested than anyone else&#39;s. =A0The<br>
reality is that isn&#39;t true. =A0OpenAFS is a community effort. =A0We all=
play by the same rules and we all work together to develop a better<br>
product. =A0Continuing attempts to pull everything into 1.4 is only<br>
going to cause 1.4 to be 1.5 and cause everyone to be unhappy.<br>
It shouldn&#39;t have. Attempts to introduce <br>anything large into an exi=
sting stable series have always=A0 been met with manifold problems,<br>comp=
laints from other sites who aren&#39;t interested in destabilizing influenc=
e, and besides, no<br>
one accepting code has ever said that developing patches for 1.4 with the i=
dea that they&#39;d<br>go upstream on that branch first or only was a good =
idea; In general, when patches show up<br>there either someone (usually me)=
 has to do the work of merging them to the head and 1.5, <br>
or we have to send them back and ask for a revised version.<br><br>The prob=
lem really is that 1.5 moved ahead from 1.4 in both client and server, and =
now some folks are stuck.<br>We&#39;ll help you if you help us. But we can&=
#39;t do all the updating and and implementation and integration testing<br=

--0016361e7db2345636046cb3715d--