[OpenAFS-devel] [grand.central.org #124130] Re-opening the discussion (fwd)

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:31:52 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

I'm forwarding a mail that I'd hoped would get added to the conversation
in RT.
Your comments are appreciated.

Regards
Felix

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:25:11 +0100 (CET)
From: Felix Frank <Felix.Frank@Desy.de>
To: openafs-bugs@openafs.org
Subject: [grand.central.org #124130] Re-opening the discussion

Dear all,

this thread has gone silent, in spite of some discussion with Jeffrey that
Hartmut forwarded me. I'll try and excerpt the essence:

Jeffreys concerns are
a) broken library interface exports
b) possibly modified behaviour

Hartmut's responses were concerning (a) that the symbols in question were
only bound by applications that called the MR-AFS specific RPC that
is the issue here.
The only applications that did so were
  - MR-AFS's fs
 	-> obsolete
 	-> has been used only by Ken Hornstein, Uni Chemnitz and Garching
 	-> Garching had been the only MR-AFS site for years and now there are
none left
  - MR-AFS's cache manager
 	-> not linked against libraries, but built with complete source instead

Concerning (b), all original behaviour is retained, all modifications are
mere additions that don't break compatibility. The (former) ResidencyCmd has
always had an extendable design.

While retrofitting OpenAFS+OSD to using the legacy names is at all possible
according to Hartmut, it implies (unnecessary?) efforts as the existing cells
at MPG and DESY would need to be "upgraded" completely.

Felix