[OpenAFS-devel] [grand.central.org #124130] Re-opening the discussion (fwd)

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:17:53 +0100 (CET)

> The patch provided in 124130 broke the Windows platform because it
> removed exported symbols names from the library.  As I indicated back
> in January, if the functionality is going to be renamed but is identical
> to the old wire protocol, then stub functions need to be created for
> the old names.  Those names can call the new names or return an error.
> It doesn't matter which.

I wasn't aware that such things could happen. So do I see this right?
It's either
- create new RPCs and let the old one's in place or
- create new Stubs with the old names and replace the old ones

Is that so?

> There is the possibility that MPG and DESY will have to upgrade in any
> case.  As part of OSD the behavior of the AFSFetchStatus SyncCounter was
> modified.  Unfortunately, OSD is not the only project that has decided
> to modify this field.  Sorting out who is going win the use of the
> SyncCounter is not up to OpenAFS.  That needs to be decided by the
> members of the afs3-stds mailing list.   Depending on how it gets
> decided someone is going to lose or perhaps everyone will lose.   By
> losing I mean that their organization will be forced to upgrade.

Good point. Maybe we should strive to at least solve this conflict. After
all, OpenAFS+OSD uses only a few bits for the protocol. As far as I can
tell, the last volume update requires a whole 32-bit integer...

I'll discuss this with Hartmut on Wednesday. Hopefully we come up with
something.

Regards
Felix