[OpenAFS-devel] Apache Directory Server as the Kerberos realm, oh, and more.....

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:38:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Jim Doyle wrote:

> The question begs.... Could you simply do away with the PTSERVER and VLDB and put these databases in LDAP ?  C-API LDAP client code with kerberos 5 support has long been there - so this is an "attainable" idea.

I just recently had a brief chat with someone who tried something similar
(implement a ptserver that is fed directly from LDAP).
His statement was that he ran into a dead end - performance was simply not good
enough and AFS operations apparently rely on extremely low ptserver latency.

While the attempt probably dates back quite a while, he seemed rather
confident that the limitation was still there. (Can't seem to remember his
name, sorry.)

Sincerely
Felix